Welsh Rarebit Family Style
Welsh Rarebit Family Style is our flavor packed version of rarebit. In Europe it is served as a pub lunch, but we like it any time of day.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Ginger ale
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 4 slices buttered toasted bread
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour in milk and Ginger ale, whisking constantly, and cook for an additional minute. Add mustard, paprika, and cayenne and whisk.
- Add cheese and whisk slowly, cooking for a couple of minutes or until sauce is smooth, melted and very hot.
- Remove from heat and carefully whisk in egg yolk.
- Serve immediately over toast. Or pass briefly under broiler if desired.