Every summer my mom made shortcake and we savored every bite of this delightful dessert complete with a warm strawberry sauce made from the fresh strawberries picked in our garden.
- 2 Nature's Yoke duck eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 6 cup crushed, fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Beat duck eggs; add sugar, milk and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and add melted butter.
- Pour batter in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The top of the cake should just start to brown.)
- Serve warm with strawberry sauce and milk.
- Pour crushed strawberries into a medium skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into strawberries. Heat strawberry sauce until it begins to boil, stirring constantly. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and serve over warm shortcake.