Strawberry Coffee Cake
While perusing a holiday cookbook I came across this Strawberry Coffee Cake, and decided it was the perfect festive gift to share with my neighbors.
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 10 oz frozen, sweetened, sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1/4 tsp ground Saigon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/3 cup all- purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cinnamon and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup of crumbs for topping.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining dry mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoons over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 350 F. for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
I’ve made your strawberry coffee cake recipe many times now and it is absolutely delicious. Thank you for posting it it has become a favorite in my household
So glad to hear you enjoy it. If you send us a picture of yours on our Nature’s Yoke facebook message, we’d love to post it!
The cake looks perfect and fabulous to bake for a special day. Yes, its definitely the best coffee cake. Lovely!!
Thanks. We love the addition of strawberries and to be honest, this coffeecake shows up at our dessert table in the summer.