Strawberry Coffee Cake
While perusing a holiday cookbook I came across this Strawberry Coffee Cake, and decided it was the perfect festive gift to share with my neighbors.
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 10 oz frozen, sweetened, sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1/4 tsp ground Saigon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 1/3 cup all- purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg, lightly beaten
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cinnamon and almond extract.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup of crumbs for topping.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining dry mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture. Drop remaining batter by tablespoons over strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 350 F. for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.