Ranch French Bread
You might want to carefully guard still-warm-from-the-oven Ranch French Bread if you want any left for dinner. Yeah, family can be that sneaky.
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cup warm buttermilk (buttermilk will appear curdled when heated)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 2 pkgs. dry ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 cup all-purpose flour
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water; add the 1 teaspoon sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk, butter, eggs, ranch dressing mix, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour and beat until smooth. Add in enough flour to make the dough soft and ready to knead. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and grease the top of the dough. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and divide into 4 portions. Roll the dough out in a 14 x 12 inch rectangle and roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the long side. Seal all seams and place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Make 5 shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter and remove from baking sheets to cool.