Pineapple Thai Fried Rice
Our guest contributor created this Pineapple Thai Rice with shrimp, cashews and free range eggs. The coconut rice and combination of spices gives it a perfect blend of tropical and spicy taste. The spice level is mild to moderate, so adjust to your liking.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and cut in half
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 1 tsp crushed garlic, heaping
- dash of paprika
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 inch of fresh ginger, shredded
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- dash of salt
- 1 fresh pineapple, cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Nature's Yoke Eggs
- 3/4 cup cashew nuts
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- shredded coconut, optional
- 2 cup water
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 2 cup rice
- Place rice, coconut milk and water in kettle. Cover. Turn heat to medium high until liquid begins to boil. Turn to low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 T. oil in skillet/wok until hot. Add garlic and paprika, then add shrimp. Cook just until shrimp is cooked. (will turn pink) Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 2 T. of oil to skillet. Fry the onion, ginger, turmeric, curry powder, diced pepper and dash of salt, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, pineapple, and soy sauce, stirring together. Fry for a few minutes making sure all is mixed well. Taste and add more soy sauce if desired.
- Make circle in the middle of the rice and crack the eggs into it. Partly scramble, then mix the rice and egg together and fry a few minutes longer.
- Add the cashews, cooked shrimp and cilantro. Garnish with shredded coconut. NOTE: For a festive look, this dish may be serve in a hollowed pineapple boat.