Nookala (Traditional Hutterite Egg Dumpling Soup)
Enjoy a sample of Hutterite cooking with this unique but delicious soup, Nookala.
- 1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken
- 8 cup chicken broth
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- In a bowl, beat butter and eggs together.
- Stir in flour, salt and baking powder to form a slightly sticky dough.
- Drop by teaspoon-fulls into boiling chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
I think you forgot to mention adding either milk or water to this mixture. I followed your recipe and couldn’t form round lumps as the mixture was like cornmeal in texture. I looked up all other recipes for dumplings and they all called for either a cup of milk or water.
these are pefect! no extra liqids required.
I have never used milk or water. I have always made my dumpling with the ingredients listed. Might just need more flour. I always gradually add flour, stir, add more, stir. And just test it as I go until it reaches the desired consistency.