Mac & Cheese Cornbread Skillet
This hearty recipe, made with bacon, cheese and organic eggs and baked in a cast iron skillet to golden brown perfection, makes a simple side dish or is filling enough to act as a main dish.
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 6 large Nature's Yoke eggs
- 3 cup milk, divided
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 8 1/2 oz cornbread muffin mix
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a 12 inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towel. Discard drippings, reserving 1 T. in pan.
- Drain cooked macaroni; add to drippings in cast iron skillet. Stir in shredded cheeses and cream cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, green onions, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Pour into skillet with macaroni and cheese and cook until slightly thickened 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of bacon; sprinkle the remaining bacon over macaroni.
- Place remaining 4 eggs, 2 cups milk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, cornbread mix, and paprika into a blender. Cover and process until smooth. Pour over bacon in skillet.
- Bake in preheated oven until puffed and golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of bacon and additional green onions and serve.