Why wait until you get to the doughnut shop to enjoy your favorite Long Johns? Warm homemade ones are hard to beat!
- 2 tbsp warm water (105-115F)
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 (1/4-oz) package active dry yeast (2 1/2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large Nature's Yolk egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus some for working the dough
- Canola or other neutral oil for frying
- 4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- Combine water, milk, and yeast in mixing bowl. Let stand five minutes or til foamy.
- Add remaining ingredients, adding the flour last. Mix it until it a soft dough is formed.
- Sprinkle with a dusting of flour and allow to rise 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- Roll dough into a 12x18 inch rectangle. Cut into 24 rectangles, 6" long.
- Fry in oil 2-3 minutes per side. You will need to turn them because they float.
- Prepare frosting by combining powdered sugar, butter, milk, and maple flavoring and whip until smooth and creamy.
- Frost cooled donuts and enjoy!