Hot Cross Buns
So Hot Cross Buns aren't just a phrase in a nursery rhyme! They are real. . .and delicious.
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp instant powdered milk
- 1/4 tsp salt, heaping
- 2 Nature's Yoke eggs, one egg separated
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Place warm water, yeast and 1 tsp. sugar in small bowl. Allow it to sit for 5 Minutes.
- Place butter, milk powder, remaining sugar, salt, egg, and egg white in mixer. Mix together.
- Add softened yeast and flour. Knead in Bosch or Kitchen Aid mixer with dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Add raisins and cardamom. Continue to knead for 1 minute longer.
- Shape into 15 balls and place in a greased 9X13 baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 35 minutes.
- Mix remaining egg yolk and 2 T. water. Brush on balls.
- Bake at 375 F. for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
TO MAKE CROSSES:
- Mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Place icing into baggie and cut off a corner.
- Pipe an X on each cooled bun.