Gluten-free Apple Almond Cake
Taken from Carol Kicinski's book, Simply. . .Gluten free Desserts, Gluten free Apple Almond Cake earns high reviews from everyone, even wheat flour lovers.
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (heaping) unsweetened applesauce
- 8 large Nature's Yoke eggs
- 3 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch spring form pan with gluten-free, nonstick spray. Line pan with parchment paper, cut to fit.
- Put the sugar in food processor (or blender) and process for 1 minute. Add the rest of the cake ingredients and process to a puree. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top of cake. Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over almonds.
- Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove sides of the pan and cake from the bottom of pan.
- Peel off parchment paper and place on serving plate.