Garden Herb Loaf
Garden Herb Loaf makes an impressive and delicious side for your next Italian meal. Get ready for compliments!
- 4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Marjoram
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, salt and herbs.
- Heat milk, water, and 1/4 cup butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F.); stir into dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 30-inch rope. Braid ropes and pinch ends to seal. Tie a knot in the center of braid; wrap ends around knot, in opposite directions and tuck under to make a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, about 20 minutes or more.
- Bake at 375 F. for 30 minutes or until done, covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional herbs or garlic salt, if desired. Remove from sheet; let cool on wire rack.