Fluffy Sausage and Cheese Omelet
This fluffy omelet was a Saturday morning specialty at our house when I was growing up. The secret to the fluff is folding egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs, separated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 4 tbsp softened butter, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup fully cooked pork sausage crumbles, divided
- fresh parsely, finely chopped
- Separate eggs carefully. Add salt to the egg whites and beat on highest mixer speed until whites form soft peaks.
- In separate bowl, add pepper, flour, water and 1 T. butter to egg yolks and beat until they are thick and lemon colored, about 3 minutes. Gently fold the yolk mixture into whites.
- Melt 3 T. butter in large skillet over medium-low heat. Pour omelet into skillet, tipping the skillet to evenly spread out the egg mixture. Cover skillet tightly. Gently simmer 4 minutes or until bottom is golden brown and the top of the omelet is dry.
- Sprinkle 1/2 c. each of cheese and sausage on half of the omelet. Fold omelet in half and serve immediately, topped with remaining 1/4 c. of cheese and sausage. Garnish with fresh parsley.