Empanadas with Avocado Sauce
Empanadas, traditionally a fried Spanish treat, are offered to you in this baked version with a delicious avocado dipping sauce to enjoy them with.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter (cold)
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg
- 3/4 cup cold water
MEAT FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1 potato
- 1 lb ground beef
- 9 oz chorizo
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup Sofrito sauce
- 1 small envelope Sazon y achiote
- 2 cup mozarella cheese
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg yolk + 1 T. water
AVACADO SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 medium bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Serrano peppers, seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Adobo to taste
- Mix flour, salt, butter and egg in a food processor. Start adding water slowly until you get a nice stretchy dough consistency.
- Take dough out of food processor and knead on floured surface, adding flour a little at a time until dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover dough and place in refrigerator.
MEAT FILLING DIRECTIONS
- Peel and cut potato into tiny cubes. Boil in water for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Brown ground beef, chorizo, garlic and onion together in a large skillet.
- Add potato, Sofrito sauce, and Sazon seasoning to meat mixture. Simmer a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut dough into 16 portions. Roll each one out into a circle and put a spoonful of meat filling on the dough. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Fold in half and pinch edges shut, or use fork to crimp.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Combine egg yolk and water and beat well. Brush each empanada with egg wash.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with Avocado Sauce.
AVOCADO SAUCE DIRECTIONS
- Cut avocado into chunks. Mince garlic. Combine all ingredients in food processor.
- Blend until you have a smooth sauce. Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
Love this recipe photo!