Dressing with Mushrooms, Sausage and Apples
One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes is dressing (or stuffing). This recipe takes the traditional dressing to a new level by adding roasted mushrooms, Italian sausage and apples (cooked in wine). A touch of turmeric gives it a lovely golden glow.
- 32 oz mushrooms, washed and quartered
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 2 tsp butter
- 5 apples, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 Natures Yoke eggs, beaten
- 1 batch Skillet Cornbread (see Breads), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 loaf ciabatta or artisan bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- A day or two before you are ready to make your dressing, make Skillet Cornbread (listed under Breads) Cube cornbread, Italian bread and ciabatta. Spread bread cubes out and allow them to dry.
Making the Dressing:
- Preheat oven to 475 F. After washing and quartering the mushrooms, drizzle them with olive oil and spread them out on a sheet pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through roasting. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn oven temperature back to 375 F.
- Brown Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove it to a plate.
- Add the butter to the same skillet over high heat. Add the apples, onion, brown sugar and salt. Stir the mixture and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until apples start to brown.
- Add wine to skillet and let it cook until the liquid is thick and reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer apples to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add chicken broth, thyme, turmeric, sage, rosemary and parsley. Whisk together. Add beaten eggs and whisk to combine.
- Place dried bread cubes in mixing bowl with apples. Add mushrooms and sausage. Toss together. Pour broth mixture over dry ingredients and toss to combine.
- Transfer the dressing to a large baking dish and bake covered, at 375 F. for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20-30 more, until golden brown.