Creamy Southern Custard Pie
Our guest contributor's Creamy Southern Custard Pie is so delicious. Every bite is smooth and delightful.
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large Nature's Yoke duck eggs, plus 1 duck egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 9" pie shell, unbaked
- Place unbaked pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan. Mold into pan and flute edges. Place parchment paper into pie pan and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake at 375 F. for 18-20 minutes to blind bake crust.
- Remove crust from oven; remove pie weights. Return crust to oven and bake 10 more minutes. Remove from oven. Turn oven temperature down to 325 F.
- Combine milk, half and half and salt in saucepan. Heat on medium heat until mixture just starts to bubble and steam. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the duck eggs, egg yolk and sugar to blend. Add 1/4 cup of milk mixture and whisk together. Add remaining milk mixture gradually until it's combined. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour custard mixture through a sieve into the pie shell. Grate fresh nutmeg onto pie.
- Bake pie at 325 F. for 35-40 minutes or just until set. Remove from oven. Cool, then chill in refrigerator.