The French-inspired cheese souffle is an elegant dish, simple to make, and best served immediately.
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Nature's Yoke eggs, separated with whites (at room temperature)
- 2 Nature's Yoke egg whites, room temperature
- In a small bowl, mix together flour and 3 T. milk until smooth. Pour remaining milk into saucepan over low heat. Add butter and melt. Whisk in flour mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar cheese, 1/4 tsp. salt and cayenne pepper. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Whisk egg yolks into cooled cheese mixture until well combined.
- In a large glass bowl, whip all four egg whites until foamy and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into mixture with a rubber spatula just until combined. Transfer mixture to a greased 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Place dish in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 375 F. Bake 30-45 minutes, or until souffle is puffed and golden and center moves only slightly when dish is shaken gently. (do not open oven door during first 20 minutes) Serve immediately.