The Best Cowboy Quiche
Made with simple ingredients – bacon, onion, cheddar cheese, eggs, and heavy cream – this Cheese and Bacon Crustless Quiche is easy enough for the beginner cook to make, yet delicious enough for the skilled chef to appreciate.
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large Nature's Yoke eggs
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. and grease a 9-10 inch deep-dish pie plate.
- Place the bacon in a large cold skillet. Turn heat up to medium-high and cook the bacon just until it starts to render its fat, about 2 minutes. Add the onions on top of the bacon, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat. Lower the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until the onions are soft and starting to become golden and the bacon is still chewy but starting to brown.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, getting as little of the bacon grease as possible. Top with the cheese.
- Beat the eggs and cream with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Pour over the cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs are set and lightly browned.