Broccoli Chicken Supreme
With water chestnuts, almonds and mushrooms baked into this recipe, Broccoli Chicken Supreme is a delightful combination of flavor and texture.
- 3 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cup cubed, cooked chicken
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp seasoned salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Nature's Yoke egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Steam broccoli for 5 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Saute mushrooms in 2 T. butter until tender.
- In greased 9x13 baking dish, layer chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts and broccoli.
- For the sauce, melt 4 T. butter in skillet.
- Stir in flour, seasoned salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth and cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then whisk the yolks into the skillet. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Stir in lemon juice and nutmeg. Pour sauce over broccoli, distributing evenly. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F. for 20 minutes until bubbly around edges and heated through.