Breakfast Galette strikes the perfect balance of sweet and savory. The crust is flaky with a hint of sweet and the prosciutto and soft baked eggs add the perfect savory, making this a breakfast favorite with everyone.
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 tbsp ice water
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 6 slices prosciutto or bacon, cooked
- 10 asparagus stems
- 6 Nature's Yoke eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Add the water and stir until the flour is moistened. (Add one more tablespoon of water if the mixture seems to dry.)
- Gently knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured work surface until it all comes together. Shape the dough into a ball and flatten it into a thick disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least one hour or up to three days.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 14 inch circle. Transfer dough to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese onto dough to within an inch and a half of the edge.
- Arrange the prosciutto and asparagus on top of cheese and fold the edges of the dough over.
- Bake for ten minutes. Remove from oven and crack eggs carefully into the middle. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 additional minutes, depending on how runny you like your eggs.