Blender Pots de Creme
Pots de Creme, a loose French dessert custard, is very rich, smooth and sweet...which is why you serve it in dainty little "pots" for the perfect after dinner treat.
- 12 oz bittersweet, or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla, (or Cognac, Grand Marnier, etc.)
- pinch of salt
- 8 floz boiling hot coffee, extra strong
- whipped cream
- Place the chocolate chips into a blender. Follow with the room temperature eggs and the vanilla (or liqueur). Add a pinch of salt. Turn on the blender.
- While it is blending, remove the circular disk from the blender lid and very slowly pour in 8 ounces of strong, VERY HOT coffee.
- Blend for a minute or so until mixture is smooth and fairly free of visible bits of chocolate.
- Pour mixture into small kettle and heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Using a candy thermometer, monitor temperature very closely. When the mixture reaches 170 F., remove from heat and pour into custard cups, little demitasse cups, goblets, or dish of your choice, leaving plenty of room to add a heap of whipping cream later.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours so the mixture has a chance to set. Serve with whipped cream and chocolate curls for garnish. Bon appetit!
This turned out perfect for me today! I didn’t even have the coffee boiling. I think the trick was using a Vitamix and having the eggs and chocolate chips puréed together beautiful. Then it didn’t take much to melt the chocolate and activate the eggs.
Thanks for letting us know. What a great idea. I love my Vitamix for so many purposes.