Portobello Spinach Polenta Bowl
Delicious and easy-to-make, this polenta bowl combines spinach, portobello mushrooms, marinara sauce, poached eggs and feta cheese to produce a mouth-watering comfort food.
- 1 cup roasted cornmeal
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- In kettle, heat vegetable broth to boiling over medium-high heat on the stove. Combine cornmeal and cold water. Add to boiling vegetable broth. Stir to mix well, then bring to simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick.
- Chop mushrooms. In a skillet, melt butter and saute mushrooms and garlic. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Remove mushrooms; set aside and keep warm. In skillet, saute spinach until wilted.
- In a separate kettle, heat marinara sauce.
To Poach Eggs:
- Fill a saucepan about 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Take the water down to a simmer. You should see bubbles coming up to the surface, but it won't be rolling.
- Crack the egg into a small cup. Add 1 T. vinegar to the water (optional).
- Ease the egg into the water. Cook for 4 minutes or until yoke is set and white is congealed. Remove from water with slotted spoon.
To Assemble Polenta Bowl:
- Place polenta on bottom of bowl. Top with crumbled feta cheese and bacon, sauteed spinach and mushrooms, a spoonful of marinara sauce and one poached egg. Season bowl with salt and pepper.