Kedgeree is an English breakfast made of rice and eggs, fish and peas. But don't limit yourself to breakfast! Kedgeree is delicious any time of the day.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 uncooked Basmati rice
- 2 1/2 water
- 4 smoked haddock, or other white fish
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in large kettle. Add onion and fry for about five minutes. Add the spices and salt and continue to fry until the mix is fragrant and brown.
- Add the rice and saute for a few minutes. Add water, stir and cover. Bring to boil, stir once, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Let stand for 10-15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, put fish and bay leaves in a frying pan and cover with milk. Poach for ten minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard milk and bay leaf.
- Place eggs in pan, cover with water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, then immediately plunge eggs into cold water. Peel and chop eggs, leaving a one in quarters for a garnish.
- Saute peas in butter and set aside.
- When rice is finished cooking, gently mix the fish, eggs, fresh parsley, peas and rice together. Garnish with egg quarters.