Italian Mac and Cheese
Serve your family a big-flavored bowl of our Italian mac and cheese or bake it in individual ramekins for a sophisticated starter.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 Nature's Yoke egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 12 oz Mozarella/Provolone/Romano Cheese Mix
- 6 oz parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Garlic Bread Crumbs
Garlic Bread Crumbs
- 3 thick slices country-style white bread
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter large casserole dish; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water with 1 T. salt to boiling. Add pasta; return water to boiling. Cook pasta according to package directions until tender to bite. Drain.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Sprinkle the flour over onion; stir for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of milk a little at a time, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Place bay leaf, thyme and peppercorns in a cheesecloth and tie with cotton string. Add to skillet along with salt and remaining 2 1/2 cups of milk. Increase heat and bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and cook ten minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Remove herb bundle. Stir in ground black pepper, nutmeg and cheeses. Stir just until cheeses are melted.
- Add cheese mixture to drained macaroni. Fold in beaten egg whites. Spoon into casserole dish and top with Garlic Bread Crumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes or until heated to 160 F. and crumbs are toasted.
Garlic Bread Crumbs
- In a food processor, process bread to coarse crumbs. Transfer to bowl.
- Toss with garlic, salt and pepper. Add oil and work into crumbs.