Date Nut Bread
Relive those happy childhood memories of eating Date Nut Bread with cream cheese sandwiched in between.
- 2 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup boiling orange juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Combine dates and butter. Pour boiling orange juice over them and let stand until cool.
- When the dates have cooled stir mixture to break up clumps. Add the brown sugar and egg and mix until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir into date mixture just until blended. (Don't over stir.) Add walnuts and stir. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool slightly. To insure moist bread, wrap in wax paper and then in tin foil. Put in a ziplock bag and put in fridge until ready to serve.