Chocolate Chip Scones
These chocolate chip scones are lightly sweetened with a slightly crusty exterior, a perfect partner for your favorite cup of tea.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter, diced
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel (packed)
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk (for glaze)
- sugar (for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter a baking sheet.
- Combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and lemon peel; rub in with fingertips until butter is reduced to crumbs. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla in a small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; mix until dough comes together in moist clumps. Gather dough together and divide into two balls.
- Press dough balls out on lightly floured surface into a round shape about 1/2" thick. (More flour may be needed if dough is too sticky to work with.) Cut dough into wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing an inch apart.
- Brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Bake until scones are crusty on top and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.