Try our savory calzones made with homemade pizza dough and stuffed with Italian meats, mushrooms, cheeses and pizza sauce.
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cup mozarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 lb salami, sliced
- 1/4 lb ham, sliced
- 1/2 lb Italian bulk sausage, cooked and drained
- 4 oz mushrooms, drained
- 6 oz Ricotta cheese, drained
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 500 F. If using a pizza stone, preheat stone for 20 minutes before baking calzones.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and sugar in warm water and allow it to set until yeast is softened and bubbly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil, yeast mixture and flour and mix until a stiff dough forms. Knead on floured surface or in bread machine, adding salt towards the end of kneading time. Knead until smooth. Place dough in greased bowl, cover and let rise for 10 minutes or so.
- Cut ham and salami slices into strips. Set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg and add water. Set aside.
- Divide dough into two balls of even size. Keep one ball of dough in covered bowl while you assemble the first calzone.
- Roll out dough into a 12 inch circle on floured pizza paddle. Sprinkle one cup of shredded mozarella cheese on half of dough. Layer with half of salami, Italian sausage, ham, mushrooms and 1/2 cup of pizza sauce. Spoon 3 oz. Ricotta cheese onto calzone and top with 1 cup shredded mozarella.
- Fold empty side of dough over onto filling and crimp edges of dough together. Baste egg/water mixture over dough and cut two slits into the top to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Bake 8-10 minutes on preheated pizza stone. While first calzone is baking, assemble the second one using remaining ingredients. Allow calzones to cool 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.