Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze
This apple cake is filled with generous chunks of apple and topped with a rich caramel glaze. It's so good you may need to hide it in your kitchen or you'll have people sneaking in for a sample!
- 5 large cooking apples
- 3 all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp Saigon cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 1 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Butter and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs until combined. Add oil, sugars and vanilla and mix until well-combined.
- Gradually whisk flour mixture into egg-sugar mixture just until blended.
- Peel apples; cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Fold apples into batter. The batter will be very thick. Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading to edges. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven. Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes while preparing caramel glaze.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add sugar, cream and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Increase heat and boil for two minutes. Remove from heat and cool until glaze begins to thicken, then spoon over cake.