This elegant valentine meringue looks like a masterpiece, but is simple to make. Light and delicate, these individual hearts are topped with a cream cheese layer and fruit.
- 3 Nature's Yoke egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can strawberry pie filling (21 oz.)
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating until very stiff peaks form.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Spoon meringue into six piles onto foil. Using the back of a spoon, form each meringue into the shape of a heart, building up the edges slightly. Bake at 275 F. for 1 hour.
- Turn oven off and do not open door. Let cool in oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream until mixture is well blended.
- Place a heart on individual plates; fill with cream cheese mixture and top with pie filling.