Cilbir, a traditional Turkish Egg dish that consists of poached eggs with yogurt, is the perfect solution to use up various odds and ends in your fridge.
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 large Nature's Yoke eggs
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- gluten-free bread or pita
- Put about 3 inches of water and the vinegar in a pot and bring to a simmer. Break an egg into a small ramekin then gently pour the egg from the ramekin into the simmering water. Repeat with the other egg. Let simmer for 3 minutes or until the whites are set. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel to dry.
- Peel the garlic and place on a cutting board with the garlic. Chop the garlic roughly then, holding the blunt side of the knife, scrape the garlic and salt together with the sharp side of the knife until it forms into a paste. Stir this into the yogurt. Reserve a bit of the dill and mint for garnish then stir the rest into the yogurt.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
- Place the yogurt in a serving bowl. Add the eggs and drizzle with the butter. Garnish with the reserved herbs and serve with bread or pita.