This Skillet Cornbread is light and soft on the inside with a crunchy, buttery crust and baked to perfection in a cast iron skillet.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup +2 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, combine first four ingredients and mix together. In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk, milk, egg and baking soda.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. (Do not over mix.)
- In a small bowl, melt 1/4 cup butter in the microwave. Slowly add melted butter to batter, stirring just until combined.
- Heat cast iron skillet over high heat and melt remaining 2 T. of butter. Pour batter into hot skillet and spread evenly. Cook on the stove top for 1 minute, then transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. The edges should be crispy.