Mushroom & Spinach Potato Lasagna
Using potatoes instead of pasta, this delicious mushroom & spinach potato lasagna is a great choice if you don't eat gluten.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 oz smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 10 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 8 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 2/3 cup white cooking wine
- 2 lb canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup cottage cheese
- 2 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 8 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz grated mozarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 lb Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil. Add bacon and onions and saute for a few minutes, until onions are wilted.
- Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and mushrooms. Saute for 10 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown. Stir in garlic, basil and oregano and saute a few minutes longer.
- Strain mushrooms and reserve liquid. Return liquid to pan and reduce until liquid forms a glaze, scraping the sides occasionally to loosen any particles.
- Add the wine and follow the same process. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 10 minutes, adding the spinach the last 5 minutes of the cooking time. Season with salt and pepper. Add mushroom mixture to the sauce.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, eggs, remaining parsley, Parmesan and mozarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel potatoes and slice them very thin, lengthwise. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place a layer of the potatoes on top of the sauce. Spread the cheese mixture over the potatoes. Repeat layering until all the ingredients are used up, reserving a little of the cheese mixture.
- Mix cream and milk with the remaining cheese mixture and pour over the top of the lasagna. Cover. Bake for 40 minutes covered, then remove the cover and bake 20 minutes longer, or until the lasagna is golden brown and set.
- Remove the lasagna from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.