Monte Cristo, sometimes called French Toasted Ham and Cheese, takes grilled cheese sandwiches to the next level.
- 4 Nature's Yoke eggs
- 3 tbsp half n' half
- pinches of salt and pepper
- 8 slices Homestyle white bread
- 4 tbsp mustard
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lb sliced ham
- 1 oz gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- Beat eggs and half n' half in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich) along with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches, with mustard, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, salt and pepper to personal preference. Slightly compress sandwich.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten eggs, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned to liking and cheese has melted.