Croque Madame, classic French comfort food served in small cafes throughout Paris, is a grilled ham and Gruyere cheese sandwich and topped with a fried egg.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 slices thick homestyle bread
- 4 thin slices Gruyere cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 large Nature's Yoke eggs
- salt and pepper
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Set both slices of bread, buttered side down, in a large skillet set to medium-high heat. Cover each piece of bread with 1 slice cheese, 3 slices ham, and top slice of bread, buttered side up. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of each sandwich, and then place a slice of cheese on top.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each egg sunny side up. Turn egg over and cook 1 minute longer for a soft-cooked egg, or 3 minutes longer for a hard-cooked egg. Season egg, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 fried egg atop each sandwich. Serve sandwich immediately.