Looking for a variation to chicken and dumplings? Crack Chicken and Dumplings is a warm, creamy comfort food filled with vegetables, cream cheese, bacon, and doughy dumplings! Crack is generally known for using cream cheese, bacon, and cheese to create a creamy base. In this case, we make a creamy base with chicken broth and then garnish it with cheese, bacon, and spring onions.
We use our Organic eggs in this recipe, so it is easy to convert the recipe entirely to Organic for a healthier meal!
Crack Chicken and Dumplings
A variation of the normal chicken and dumplings, this recipe is creamier and more soup-like. Perfect for those looking for a new but old dinner recipe!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup Yellow Onion (diced)
- 4 cloves Garlic (pressed)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded Chicken
- 1 Large Nature's Yoke Organic Egg
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Cream Cheese
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Ranch Seasoning
- 4 slices Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Ranch Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Butter (melted)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Bacon (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup spring onions (chopped)
- In large pan, add oil, saute the carrots, celery, peas, onion, and garlic until bright and tender.
- Add in chicken, chicken broth, and stir. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Add egg into heavy cream and whisk until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into simmering soup base and keep stirring until completely combined.
- Add in the cream cheese, bacon, and ranch seasoning. Stir to combine and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- While soup is simmering, make dumplings.
- Warm milk and butter together, just until butter is melted, do not boil.
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Pour milk mixture into dry ingredients and mix until dough forms. Dough ball will form and the texture will be slightly sticky.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into soup, one at a time.
- Dough will expand and double in size.
- Gently dunk each dough ball under broth. Cover with a lid and cook dumplings for 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon into bowls. Garnish with cheddar cheese, bacon, and spring onions.