Cheese Pizza is superb just like this. Or, if you like, use this as the base and add your choice toppings to create your favorite pizza.
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- sprinkle of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Nature's Yoke egg, beaten
- Pizza Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Asiago Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil, finely chopped (dried basil works too)
- Stir yeast and sugar into water, using a fork. Let stand in a warm place for about 5 minutes, or until yeast is frothy.
- Mix flour, garlic powder, oregano, black pepper and salt together in large bowl. Add oil and mix for two minutes. Pour yeast mixture and beaten egg into flour mixture and mix to make a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until springy and smooth, about 8 minutes. Place dough in floured bowl and cover with a cloth.
- Let dough rise for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle hard surface with cornmeal, place dough on it, and roll into shape that fits your pizza pan. (I learned the cornmeal tip from my mom. It makes a delicious crust with a slightly crispy bottom.)
- Place crust on oiled pizza pan. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes or more.
- Spread pizza sauce on crust. Sprinkle with cheeses and fresh basil.
- Bake pizza for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.