France gets credited for Brioche Loaf, a bread that gets its rich, pastry-like texture from a high egg and butter content. Try baking it in a variety of shapes or in a bundt pan to make this treat beautiful as well as delicious.
- 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water, warmed to 110 F.
- 3 large Nature's Yoke eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large Nature's Yoke egg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir to combine and allow to sit for 5 to 7 minutes. The mixture will bubble when the yeast is activated. Whisk in eggs until thoroughly combined
- Attach dough hook to stand mixer. Add salt and flour to mixing bowl. Start the mixer on low speed until the dough begins to come together, about 2 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and add softened butter one tablespoon at a time. Mixture will be very sticky. Continue to mix for another 3 minutes until dough is shiny and smooth.
- Stop mixer and cover bowl with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Allow dough to sit for 15 minutes. Mix on medium speed for another 5 minutes. At this point, the dough will be quite sticky. (Do not add additional flour. It will become very workable once it is refrigerated.) Use a spatula or dough scraper to remove sticky dough from mixing bowl. Transfer dough to a well greased large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Allow dough to rise at room temperature for one hour.
- Punch down dough. Dump dough out onto greased surface. Fold into thirds like a business letter. Place back in greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in fridge overnight for at least 6 hours, up to 12 hours.
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Punch down chilled dough. Divide dough into 5 equal portions. Working with one portion at a time, roll dough into a 5-inch square. Using the heels of your palms, gently flatten and stretch the dough to the desired size. Roll dough into a small log and place horizontally seam side down in prepared loaf pan. Repeat with remaining portions of dough.
- Loosely cover dough with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and allow dough to rest at room temperature. Leave dough undisturbed until dough reaches the top of loaf pan. This will take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix egg wash by whisking together egg, salt, and water until smooth. Remove plastic wrap and lightly brush egg wash over the top of bread loaf. Bake bread for 35 to 45 minutes, rotating pan midway through baking. The finished bread loaf should be golden brown on top. Allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and allow to cool to room temperature on wire rack. Once bread has cooled, use a serrated knife to slice. Store cooled bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.