Caesar Salad, starring fresh Caesar dressing and homemade croutons, is a special treat in our guest contributor's family, and often requested for special occasions.
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large Nature's Yoke egg, room temperature
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 lemon
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 anchovy fillets, for garnish
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread
- olive oil cooking spray
- garlic salt
- Trim head of Romaine lettuce, discarding huge stems and any brown spots. Rinse and shake off any moisture; dry well. Cut into bite sized pieces. Chill until ready to use.
- In a glass measuring cup, bring 1/2 cup water to boil in the microwave. Remove water from microwave. Place the egg into the hot water for 1 minute, remove and rinse with cold water and set aside. (This process is called coddling, and kills any harmful bacteria.)
- Using a garlic press, push the garlic through. Smash three anchovies through the press also. Place garlic and anchovies in a medium bowl and continue to smash together with a fork until no clumps remain.
- Add dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt; blend well.
- Separate egg and place the egg yolk into the anchovy paste, blending well. Pour olive oil into anchovy paste in a SLOW, steady stream, blending all the while. Add red wine vinegar; blend well.
- Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to dressing and blend. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into dressing. Season with fresh ground black pepper.
- Cut bread into cubes. Spread on cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake at 325 F. for 10 minutes. Stir croutons, then spray again lightly with oil spray and sprinkle with garlic salt. Return to oven for 10 more minutes or until light golden brown. Store leftovers in zip lock bag.
To Serve Caesar Salad:
- Place Romaine lettuce in a large salad bowl. Add homemade croutons, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/2 of Caesar dressing and toss. Add remaining Caesar dressing, more croutons (if desired) and remaining Parmesan cheese. Lay 2 anchovies on top of salad to garnish.